Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Septic System Full Inspections

Evaluate the plumbing components inside the home: I inspect all of the interior plumbing fixtures for proper connections. I also make sure all the waste lines are properly discharging into an approved waste system. Dye is intruduced into the waste water system and over the following weeks may be tracked through its disposal stream. Water treatment systems (softeners) can be harmful to septic systems and I evaluate where the discharge of these systems go.

Examine the inside of the treatment tank: I open the tank and examine the inlet and outlet baffles and determine the volume of the treatment tank. I inspect the visible parts of the tank for cracks, water or root infiltration, corrosion, and leakage. I also take a sample from inside the tank with a sludge sampler. Similar to what is used in waste water treatment facilities. By examining the sample I can determine the amount of sludge, liquid level and scum layer. This allows me to understand whether the tank is healthy and if it needs pumping.

Distribution Box: I inspect the distribution box for corrosion, leakage and cracks. I also make sure the D-Box is level to ensure equal flow to each pipe in the leaching field. EDA, ( Effluent Disposal Area ) or Leaching Field. I will determine the location and size of the EDA. Test hole's are hand dug in different locations throughout the EDA. This allows me to examine the condition of the EDA as well as how much saturation is present. A full evaluation of the EDA is critical in determining the overall condition of the septic system.

Vacant homes: Septic inspections can still be performed on vacant homes. Sometimes a hydraulic load test will be done by running approximately 150-200 gallons of water into the system. Septic dye may also be used to determine flow.

Reports: My At Home & Play septic system narative report is comprehensive and easy to read. I include digital photographs for a better understanding of the system, components and condition.

No comments:

Post a Comment